Fergus Ferry, the lovable little ferry boat from the books and interactive app for Apple, Android and Amazon devices has been winning new fans and delighting old friends both young and old since their launch.
Fergus and his team are excited to share his adventures with you in his very own Animated Cartoon Series that are now available to watch on YouTube. Currently, animations 1-12 are available to watch and they will continue to add one animation per week until all 24 episodes are added. Check back every Friday for a new episode. They also created closed captioning for each animation, for children to read along while watching. Click the link above or just search Fergus Ferry in YouTube. Coming soon, Fergus will also be available to watch on Amazon Prime.
The 24 best-selling children’s books are being read by more and more children around the world and the apps continue to be downloaded by users. The rhyming format of each story makes it easier for children to enjoy and follow while each animation also contains subtle parent/child messages.
Besides the animations, the Fergus Ferry books are available for purchase on the Fergus Ferry Blog. The Fergus Ferry interactive app is also available in the iTunes Store for Apple devices and the Google Play Store for Android smartphones and tablets. More information on the apps and the Fergus Ferry stories, teacher notes, lesson plans and even more fun games and puzzles can be found at www.FergusFerry.com Be sure to join Fergus and his friends on YouTube.
This app has been thoroughly evaluated by our staff. Please click on the 'star ratings' tab above, to see how it fared in all nine of our rating categories. See synopsis tab for more details about the storyline.
This review was originally published by TeachersWithApps.com on April 3, 2016. Teachers With Apps was co-founded by Jayne Clare, a Special Education teacher, and Anne Rachel, an artist and Early Childhood educator.
Their goal is to be a credible resource for quality educational apps. Created to help parents, grandparents, teachers, administrators and anyone else, wade through the vast number of ”educational” apps being introduced on a daily basis. Teachers With Apps was founded by two lifelong educators and is dedicated to the idea that quality mobile educational apps are the tools of the future but they need to be used responsibly. Remember, not all educational apps are created equal.
All reviews are of the app, not the platform/device. Based originally on iPad versions. Minor technical details may vary.
John Williamson Noble/PeterTownsend
SNOWBALL PRESS PTY LTD
30 - 45 Minutes
Based on non-digital book: Yes
Allows Own Narration:
Uses Motion: No
Age: 2 - 5 +
English • French • Spanish •German •Italian •Japanese •Dutch •
Take to the harbour with Fergus Ferry and all his friends as you and your children read the stories, play the game and explore Fergus' world.
This full version of the app offers hours of play, reading and entertainment featuring:
* All 24 Fergus Ferry stories with the original illustrations and all new reading fun. The stories are available in 2 modes: Read-Along where young readers can listen to the author, JW Noble, read the books aloud while the pages turn automatically, or 'Read-Myself' where children and their parents can read the stories themselves.
* 'Go! Fergus' Game where the reader can drive Fergus Ferry around the harbour to rescue people, save boats, scare off sharks and avoid crashes with other ferries. Designed for young readers, the game has simple touch controls, full voiceover instructions and lots of chances to earn points and get on the scoreboard.
* 'For Parents' information: JW Noble explains the origins of Fergus Ferry. He also gives a brief explanation of the themes of each of the stories, designed to help a little with teaching children some of the lessons that can help equip them for life.
* ‘For Teachers’ information: gives teachers talking points, themes and activities for each story.
* Voiceover and audio prompts: full voice over audio for stories, instructions and anywhere there is text for children, giving young and aspiring readers the help they need if their parents aren’t available.