Lootupootu from Jolly Universe is about an elf who learns to care for his environment. Little Lootupootu goes on a trip to a park for a picnic, a familiar activity for young readers. While at the park, Lootupootu litters, tossing his trash onto the grass, until the birds teach him about the value of keeping the world clean. The text is clear and easy to read, with original, cartoon-style graphics that will have a lot of appeal for young kids.
This simple storybook has no animation or interactivity, beyond a series of games embedded within the story's pages. The games are cute, although none of them is particularly challenging or educational. You can access all three from the home page or encounter them during the reading of the book, which thankfully has a 'story only' setting as well. The games each involve matching items to shapes or colors, including one that requires reading to complete. The three games include:
Journey to Park: Drag to match the right colored vehicle to the number along an image of a road.
Which Animal: Drag to match the animal to the silhouette on a cookie.
Park Clean Up: Drag to match trash to colored bins labeled metal, paper, plastic and organic.
The digital layout of this book app is nice but also has room for improvement. There is a home button on every screen, but settings are only accessible from the title page and there is no page guide for navigation. The app is set up to "Read to Me" as the default, but narration can be turned on and off from a menu accessible on the home page, something that may not be obvious when first setting the app up for a child.
Pages swipe-to-turn easily in this solidly made title, and a different 'green' fact pops up at the end of the book each time it is read. This was my favorite part of the app, so it would even be nice to have a way to access all of them. I'd suggest adding a quiz based on these facts in the activities section, to increase the educational value.
Overall, Lootupootu is a cute story with a useful message about recycling and not littering. The simplicity of the app makes it a good choice for bedtime or classroom use, with little to distract children. The flexibility to read with or without the activities embedded in the story is a nice addition. Young children will enjoy learning about their environment and how to be good stewards of the earth in this sweet storybook.
Includes: English and Arabic - text and narration.
This app has been thoroughly evaluated by our staff. Please click on the 'star ratings' tab above, to see how it fared in all nine of our rating categories. See synopsis tab for more details about the storyline.
Note to readers: This review was expedited by the developer for a fee. The review's content is the same, but timing of publication has been prioritized.
All reviews are of the app, not the platform/device. Based originally on iPad versions. Minor technical details may vary.
Ken Thompson/Shaima Al Malik
JOLLY UNIVERSE LTD
6 - 10 Minutes
Based on non-digital book: No
Allows Own Narration:
Uses Motion: No
Age: 3 - 6
From iTunes: Lootupootu is an educational, interactive bedtime story that inspires children to protect and care for the environment.
Join Lootupootu the elf on his journey to the park for a picnic, building cognitive skills along the way with the app’s fun, educational activities. Discover the importance of looking after the environment and learn how to recycle!
• Journey to the park: Learn to identify vehicles, colors & numbers in this fun identification activity
• Which animal: Learn to identify and match animal shapes in this animal cookie exercise
• Park clean up: Learn which materials belong in the different recycling bins in this color-coded activity
• Language options for English and Arabic. Easy English/Arabic toggle option
• Offline, self-contained app - no internet access required
• Rich, high definition graphics by award winning Emirati illustrator Shaima Al Malik
• Tap, drag and slide icons in the interactive, educational activities
• Story with Activities – enjoy the full experience with interactive activities
• Story Only – enjoy the story in a more traditional format, without activities
• Activities – interact with each of the 3 activities as standalone functions
• Read through with English or Arabic narration (can switch narration on/off)
• Whispie’s tips will guide you through the app and activities (can switch Whispie’s tips on/off)
• Rotating ‘Green facts' raise environmental awareness, and load when the app launches and at the end of the story (can switch Green facts on/off)
• Original music score (can switch music on/off)
• Fun sound effects, including page turns, enhance your experience (can switch sounds on/off)
• Packed with positive moral lessons